Aboriginal Adolescent & Family Support Worker
- Ongoing, Part Time (0.6 FTE) in Marrickville
- Marrickville location
- Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Around the world the Good Shepherd network is working to create just and equal communities where women and girls can live full, safe lives. We have been committed to our mission for nearly 200 years, working strongly for social change. Wherever we are, we strive to team up with people who share our mission, vision and passion for social justice because the need is still great.
Our areas of expertise are, safety and resilience, educational pathways and financial security.
GSANZ is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to staff wellbeing; we offer a supportive work environment, ongoing professional development for staff, we encourage flexible working arrangements and provide access to Salary Packaging. The role is classified as SCHADS 2010 level 5.
About the role:
Reporting to the Manager, Safety and Resilience, the Aboriginal Adolescent & Family Support Worker will:
- Focus on assisting clients cross New South Wales by focusing on those in need of specialised cultural support.
- Provide strengths based, client-centred case management to Aboriginal & non-Aboriginal adolescents aged 12 years – 17 years and their families.
- Deliver case management to address issues such as experiencing mental ill health, domestic violence, sexual assault, social isolation, school disengagement, family conflict and child protection concerns.
- Participate in facilitating groups to young people and parents
- Use their cultural knowledge to help inform and shape service delivery
This is a multidisciplinary role which will see a strong collaboration between partner agencies to support and strengthen families and cultural connections.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Have in depth understanding of Aboriginal culture and issues facing Aboriginal youth and their families
- Demonstrate experience working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adolescents and their families
- Advocate and support Aboriginal children and their families
- Hold relevant Tertiary qualifications in social work, psychology or related discipline
- Demonstrate previous experience working with Aboriginal families with complex needs and behaviours such as mental health, substance abuse, disability, disengagement from education
- Hold prior experience in case management including carrying out intake, assessment and making recommendations on service response
- Valid New South Wales driver’s license
Queries about this position should be directed to Kate Steinhauer, Manager- Safety & Resilience NSW, on 0415 103 794 or via email email@example.com.
To apply please send a brief letter addressing the requirements of the role along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
No closing date, applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Good Shepherd Australia New Zealand is a Child Safe employer. Employment is subject to satisfactory referee checks, a current employment Working with Children Check, National Criminal History check and proof of the right to work in Australia. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage people who identify as Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander or other diverse backgrounds to apply.